Broc-N-Cheese!

Tuesday, April 2, 2013



This is my version of one of my old favorite comfort foods... Mac-N-Cheese (not the packet variety either, the real homemade goodness) Obviously this is not as good as when you use pasta but it also doesn't leave you feeling guilty, foggy and generally like you need to have a nap ;)

















Broc-N-Cheese!
  • ½-1 head broccoli or cauliflower
  • 3 strips streaky bacon
  • ¾ cup cream
  • Egg yolk
  • Salt, pepper, mustard, paprika & curry powder (pinch of each)
  • ¾ cup grated cheddar cheese
Chop up your broccoli into really small pieces, cook using a steamer.
Grill your bacon until crisp and then chop into really small pieces.
Put your cream into a saucepan and add all the seasonings,let it reduce for 10-15 minutes on a low heat, stirring occasionally, once almost the thickened consistency of a white sauce then take off the heat and add in your egg yolk and grated cheese.  To cheat the reduction method you can buy thickened cream instead but reducing your own cream is a much richer tastier way to go! Or if flour doesn't bother you then just make a traditional cheese sauce.

Sprinkle the bacon on top and viola! Enjoy :)


4 comments

  1. Since I've gone paleo I've really missed things like mac and cheese. It's one of the few cravings I have difficulty overcoming. Don't know why I never considered broccoli and cheese before, but you recipe sounds really great, I'm going to try it tonight. The only dairy (besides cheese)that I have on hand is some fat free greek yogurt, I hope that works for a cheese sauce, we'll see.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So do you consider tasty cheese paleo?? I'm so confused with the diary side of this lifestyle. I'm new to this way of eating and I feel that I can relate to your story! I have changed to full fat milk but would only have 1 coffee/ latte a day. Other dairy I might have would be cottage cheese.
    But if you think tasty cheese is okay?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well dairy isn't considered Paleo, I don't personally label myself as Paleo, I tend to follow a loose version of Primal, I don't seem to have an issues when I consume dairy so I do eat it. This is something you have to figure out for yourself to see if you tolerate it well or not :)

      Delete
  3. Super yummy! I didn't have curry powder, but still delish. I used Kerrygold Cheddar and organic cream. I reduced the cream as you suggested. Well worth it. Thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete

All rights reserved. © The Poppy Creative.